Sewing with a machine is simpler and quicker than sewing by hand. Singer sewing machines are one of the oldest and most reliable brands of machines. Oiling the sewing machine is part of the machine's general maintenance. Oiling will help it run well and extend the life of the machine. If you use your sewing machines frequently, you should oil it after about 10 hours of use. If you use it moderately, oil the machine once a week. If you seldom use your Singer sewing machine, oil it once a month. Check your Singer sewing machine manual to find out which areas need oiling--this can differ, depending on the model. If you lose your manual, request a duplicate manual from the company or find one posted on the Internet.
Unplug the sewing machine.
Remove all thread from the machine, as well as the spool for top stitching and the bobbin thread.
Use a small screwdriver to remove the Singer sewing machine's face plate, which is above the device's foot area.
Add one drop of oil to the parts inside the face plate--these pieces aid in moving the sewing foot up and down.
Remove the sewing machine's throat plate. This is the plate that covers the bobbin area.
Add one drop of oil to the shuttle race area where the bobbin thread is housed.
Replace both of the cover plates.
Rethread the sewing machine and replace the bobbin.
Sew several stitches on a scrap piece of fabric to remove any excess oil. This will protect your sewing projects from damage.
Things You'll Need:
- Small screwdriver
- Sewing machine manual
- Sewing machine oil
- Do not apply oil to any of the gear systems. Refer to you sewing machine's oiling diagram to avoid over-oiling. Applying too much oil to the sewing machine parts can ruin the motor.
Amanda Ballard Coates is a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) and a member of the American Association of Professional Coders. She is also a freelance writer and photographer. She writes mostly nonfiction and has been published on several informative websites. Ballard Coates' writing has been published on websites such as Healthmad.com, Quazen.com, Gomestic.com and Socyberty.com.
- How to Time the Hook on the Longarm Quilting Machine
- How to Adjust the Bobbin Tension on a Singer 5050C Sewing Machine
- How to Troubleshoot Janome
- How to Thread a Viking Husqvarna Sewing Machine Model 150
- How to Insert a Bobbin in a Singer Tradition Sewing Machine
- How to Thread a Bobbin on a Sew E-Z Machine