How to Make Candles With Soy

Things You'll Need

  • Soy wax flakes
  • HTP coreless wicks
  • Glass candle container
  • Wooden clothes pins
  • Candle color dye (optional)
  • Fragrance oil
  • Glue spots
  • Towel
  • Oven mitt or pot holder
  • Medium-sized glass bowl with pour Spout or pitcher
  • Kitchen scales
  • Measuring spoons

Here is a simple and easy way to make a soy wax container candle. Anyone can do this in their own kitchen without a lot of expense and using tools that are found in the household. If you have always wanted to try your hand at candle making these steps can help. Soy pillars can be made as well, but container candles are by far simpler and easier to make for anyone.

Melt the soy wax flakes in the microwave. Fill up your glass bowl or pitcher 3/4 full with soy wax flakes and place in the microwave. Microwave 1 minute, then stir. Repeat the process until the flakes are totally melted and clear in consistency.

Remove from the microwave, and place on a towel. Add your candle colorant two to three drops at a time. Stir, then add more until the wax has the tint that you want in your candles. Then add a few more drops due to the fact that soy candles are lighter when cooled and a bit opaque in color. Colorant is optional and you can leave your candles natural if you like.

Set the wax mixture aside. Allow it to cool to approximately 100 degrees or starting to get cloudy in its color. Once cloudy, start adding your fragrance oil. Add 1/2 to 1 oz. of fragrance oil. Fragrance is per individual preference so it is suggested you stand approximately 6 to 8 inches above the container. When the fragrance is strong it is time to stop adding. Do not put more than 1 oz. to a pound of soy as this is overkill, will not strengthen the fragrance any more. Set the mixture aside and allow to cool.

While the wax is cooling, it is time to prepare your candle jar or container for pouring. Make sure jars are clean and dry. Place them in the microwave to heat up to close to the same temperature as your wax. Approximately 1 minute for four to six small candle jars is usually sufficient. Remove jars from the microwave with an oven mitt or pot holder. Place on towel on counter.

Place one glue spot on the bottom of the metal part at the bottom of the wick. Place in the center of the container and press down with a clothes pin for a couple of seconds or feel stuck. Pour your wax slowly in the container leaving a small amount at the top left for the second pour. Reserve a small amount of the candle wax mixture for this.

Place wood clothes pins across the top of the glass container to hold the wick in place in the center until cooled. Once the candles have cooled, they will have some small holes or pits. This is when you do the second pour. Heat the wax mixture in the microwave just enough to get it to liquid consistency, yet still thick and slushy in appearance and cloudy. Pour slowly to top off the candles and this will make the tops smooth when cooled. Seal the top of the candle in order to allow the fragrance to ripen in the candle. Candles can be burned immediately but the fragrance is stronger and lasts longer if you wait for 2 to 3 days after pouring to burn them.


  • Trim candle wicks to 1/4 to 1/2 inch before burning to keep down smoking and soot while burning. Soy candles have very little soot or smoking if burned properly and since it is a natural substance does not release any toxic chemicals into the air like paraffin does. Use oven mitts or pot holders when handling hot substances to avoid burns.
    Use household glass containers to make your candles in. Thick wine glasses and other unusual containers can be used as long as there are no cracks present in the glass. Recycle your containers, as soy is a natural substance and can be completely cleaned with soap and water. Soy candles require wicks that have no lead in them. There are other types of lead-free wicks, but HTPs work well with the soy and are inexpensive.


  • Never burn candles unattended due to fire risks. If using fragrance oil that is not skin safe, use gloves to keep down any skin irritation.