Candle making is exciting and fun, and the process of making your own candles can reconnect you to what life was like when people had to make their own household goods. In order to dip your own candles, it is important to melt the wax you will be using completely. Wax is extremely messy, and can ruin pots and pans if heated directly in them. Instead, wax must be heated with a disposable double boiler. Making a disposable double boiler requires only a few easy steps.
Things You'll Need:
- Large Coffee Can
- Pot With A Handle
- Candle Wick
- Wooden Spoon
Place candle wax into a large coffee can. Make sure that the coffee can is empty and has been thoroughly cleaned. A large coffee can easily can hold about 4 lb. of wax. Choose a natural wax, such as beeswax, that will melt evenly without separating or giving off toxic chemicals. Be careful not to overfill the coffee can, leaving around 1/2 inch near the top of the can empty.
Place the coffee can into a pot with a handle. Make sure that the pot is large enough to hold the coffee can without fitting too snugly. Fill the pot with water until it reaches halfway up. Do not fill the pot with too much water or it will overflow once the water is bubbling. Place the pot onto a stove top, and heat it over medium heat.
Heat the water until it begins to boil, stirring the wax continuously with a wooden spoon to prevent the wax from scorching. Once the water is boiling, the wax will begin to melt inside the can. Keep heating the wax until it melts completely.
Dip the ends of an 18-inch piece of candle wick inside the coffee can full of melted wax for a count of two seconds, then let the ends cool for five minutes. Once cool, dip the wick again for two seconds, cooling it for five minutes again. Repeat this process until the candles are of significant thickness.
Keep any excess wax in the coffee can to cool down for future use. The wax will become hardened inside the coffee can, which can be placed inside the handled pot and heated in water to remelt. Store hardened candles in a cool, dark location out of direct sunlight so that they do not melt or soften.