Thomas White, founder of the White Sewing Machine Company, began building sewing machines in 1858, according to the International Sewing Machine Collectors' Society's website, ismacs.net. By 1882, the company was producing about 60,000 machines each year. Between the early 1930s through the 1950s, White was the sole supplier of sewing machines sold by Sears Roebuck & Company. By 1960, White had merged with Husqvarna Viking. You can find the age of White sewing machines using the serial number stamped on each machine or printed on a tag affixed to the machine.
Examine the outside of the sewing machine for a number stamped in the metal or a tag that contains the serial number. Check the front and back of the machine, and then the end with the motor. Look on the bottom if the serial number is not visible elsewhere.
Write down the serial number of your machine.
Visit the Husqvarna Viking website, husqvarnaviking.com, and click on Contact Us to get the current Consumer Affairs Department phone number.
Call the Husqvarna Viking Consumer Affairs Department toll-free number during business hours. Provide the requested caller information, such as your name, state and zip code. Give the representative your serial number and ask that your machine be dated.
As of July 2010, the Consumer Affairs Department toll-free phone number is 1-800-446-2333 and normal business hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central Standard Time (CST).
- International Sewing Machine Collectors’ Society: A Bit About White
- International Sewing Machine Collectors’ Society: Sears Roebuck
- Husqvarna Viking Consumer Affairs Department
- As of July 2010, the Consumer Affairs Department toll-free phone number is 1-800-446-2333 and normal business hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central Standard Time (CST).
Crystal Marie launched her freelance writing career in July 2009 after working for nearly 20 years in public health. She writes for various websites and holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in business and human resources management from Simpson University.
- How to Use a Singer Touch Tronic 2010 Sewing Machine
- How to Determine the Age of an Antique Singer Sewing Machine
- How to Get a Copy of Singer Sewing Machine Manual 9015
- How to Wind the Bobbin for an Elna 1010 Sewing Machine
- How to Date Your Singer Sewing Machines
- How to Convert Tokens to Quarters for a Yamasa