Things You'll Need
- Waste paper
- Large bucket of water
- Drying rack
If you have a wood-burning fireplace or stove and a big stack of newspapers, you've got a great opportunity to save on your gas bill this winter without the effort or cost of chopping or buying firewood. You can convert your old newspapers, junk mail and paper waste into fireplace logs that will keep you warm all winter. Think of all of the trees you’ll save when you start your own personal paper recycling plant.
Open the newspaper at the center fold so that it spans approximately 12.5 inches wide by 22.5 inches tall. The thickness of the newspaper will determine the size of the paper fireplace logs.
Insert paper waste and junk mail inside the newspaper pages.
Roll the newspaper up tightly from top to bottom.
Twist wire around both ends of your paper fireplace log.
Dunk the newspapers in the bucket of water, soak for 1 minute and remove. Stack on drying rack and allow to dry completely before burning.
Use wire to secure the ends of the paper logs; string will burn at the same rate as the paper, causing the logs to unfurl and burn more quickly. Once all of the paper logs have burned, remove the wire from your fireplace or wood stove with tongs.
Soaking the paper logs reduces the amount of loose ash as they burn and breaks down the fibers of the paper, allowing the logs to burn longer.
Avoid incorporating glossy or coated paper materials into your paper logs, as they can release chemicals into the air as they burn. Most newsprint contains vegetable dye, making it safe to burn in your fireplace or woodstove.
Be sure that the paper logs have completely dried before you attempt to burn them, or they will smolder and smoke instead of burning.