An empty wine bottle filled with a string of lights can make a memorable gift or centerpiece. It's a craft project that lends itself to a lot of creativity and can be done in less than a day.
Things You'll Need
- 1/8-Inch Drill Bit
- Spray Bottle Filled With Water
- Beads And Matching Fake Floral Pieces
- Clamp Or Anything That Will Help Hold The Wine Bottle
- Floral Wire
- Safety Goggles
- Diamond Drill Bit
- Strand Of 50 Mini Lights
Put the clamp on the bottle just tight enough to help you hold it in place. Put on the safety goggles.
Place the drill with the diamond drill bit on a spot on the bottom of the bottle. Press just hard enough for the drill bit to penetrate the glass. Spray water occasionally at the entry point to help the drill form the hole. Drill until the bit goes completely through the glass and leaves a hole about 1/2-inch in diameter.
Wash the entire bottle with warm soapy water to eliminate the excess glass "powder."
Push the strand of lights through the hole starting with the end opposite the plug.
Arrange the flowers around the neck of the bottle. Use flowers with wire stems that will bend easily and tie them together with the floral wire.
Put the 1/8 inch drill bit in the drill. Drill a hole from the top of the cork all the way through to the bottom. If the piece you are using to decorate the cork has a wire stem, insert the stem straight through the cork, then bend the bottom of the wire. If the flower does not have a wire stem, attach floral wire to the flower then push the wire through the cork.
Always use caution when working with glass and a drill.
- If you get frustrated with your arrangements remember you can always take them apart and start over. The first one I did, I started over 3 times! It does not have to be perfect. Unique is in! :)
- Remember you are dealing with glass and be very careful. Wear your goggles to protect your eyes. These bottles can and will break if you are not careful!
This article was created by a professional writer and edited by experienced copy editors, both qualified members of the Demand Media Studios community. All articles go through an editorial process that includes subject matter guidelines, plagiarism review, fact-checking, and other steps in an effort to provide reliable information.